Wednesday, April 18, 2007

So, I’m Time Magazine’s Person of the Year

Is this a good thing to put in my resume when I apply for a job in the future, or the best thing since free money?


By: Vanessa Uy


Time Magazine’s cover concept for this year’s installment for “Person of the Year” is a “modern” p.c. with a mirror mounted on the monitor. For me “I view this concept as a mirror located in an unexpected location. When I do check myself there and see myself unexpectedly, I wonder for a moment, ‘Is that really me?’ “

Growing up in an oriental culture, my “cultural universe” revolves around “feng sui” and for many years I’ve glanced into many a mirror placed in unexpected locations. Every time I asked “Is that really me?” Then Time Magazine returned “Is that really me?”

The “muses of inspiration” often dwells in the unexpected; I’m surprised these days the speed of the concept of ad infinitum turns into ad absurdum and even into ad nauseam. Come on, people: In the long run, this will not be an idea empowering the disenfranchised to embrace “representative democracy” but a faux egalitarianism bought about by most people’s misconceptions on the “information superhighway.” And it is a very tired idea. The accolade should be dedicated to the brave souls who exposed the scandal in Abu Ghraib a few years ago.

No comments: